Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Working Through the DP: Week 1 Homework

This week, I am jumping back into ADF's Dedicant Path training. The DP is the first round of many study programs offered by ADF to members and introduces us to the basic practices and theologies in ADF. To help work through the DP (since I tend to flounder without some sense of structure) I'm using Rev. Michael Dangler's guide through the program, which is designed to take up one full year of study and practice.

I'll be reading and re-reading the introductory material to this path, starting to plan out benchmarks for myself in the twelve months ahead, and setting down the framework needed to make this part of my life. Each week Rev. Dangler assigns homework (what does it say about me, I wonder, that I jump on voluntary assignments with relish?) and I'll share my responses in my post today.

----------


Why have you chosen to take the first steps on the Dedicant Path?

I feel that I need a good shot of discipline in my life and from what I’ve seen, ADF’s DP is a good way to get it. My fascination with Druidry and related Celtic paths has blossomed over the past few months and I feel like I need to do dedicated study to understand where I’m going and what I need to do. Unfortunately, I still need to build up dedication and perseverance (I can already tell that’s a Virtue I’ll have to work on) and I feel that I don’t have enough confidence in myself to tackle this study all on my own. Hence the reason I’m stepping forward on the DP and using Michael Dangler’s guide The ADF Dedicant Path Through the Wheel of the Year.

Is this a step on your path, or will this become the Path itself?


I try not to say too many definite things about the future, primarily because at one point I was absolutely certain I’d be Baptist for the rest of my life. At the moment, while I am extremely attracted to Druidry and ADF in particular, I don’t want to exclusively dedicate myself to it. I’ve also been a member of the Unitarian Universalist church for years and am actually planning on going into UU seminary for graduate school. In addition to that, I’m also starting the year-and-a-day process for a local Wiccan coven, and have my own eclectic leanings all across Paganism. I feel that the DP has a lot of things to offer and that, if I can get my butt in gear, I’ll come out as a better Pagan, a better student, and a better person.

What do you expect to learn?

Besides ADF’s theology and practice, I expect to learn discipline and patience. I also expect to learn different ways to approach the gods, spirits, and ancestors and make them a part of my life instead of something that I have to rearrange my life for. Also, I expect to learn more effective meditation techniques than those I’ve been struggling with, in hopes of finally quieting my mind.

What would you like to get out of this journey?

Similarly to what I’ve written above, I hope to actually get a cohesive practice that allows for the experimentation and freedom I crave coupled with the discipline and structure I need.

Do you know where this path will take you?

Of course not; then again, does anybody?

Why are you starting the DP now?

This is a slightly modified question. I started the DP back in July, when I first joined ADF, but I just didn’t make it a high enough priority in my life. I’m starting to understand why - this semester set a lot of new framework for myself, and even if I had stuck with the DP more diligently, there’s no way I could have committed myself to the spiritual learning and self-discovery needed for this sort of thing. Now that I’ve gone through those fires and become stronger (as cheesy as that sounds) not only do I feel stronger and happier, I also feel more spiritually open. Now I feel like I’m in a good place to start my studies again, and this time I can make it stick.

Does it look hard or easy?

It won’t and shouldn’t be a walk in the park, but I don’t think this is difficult. Challenging might be a better word, particularly in the areas I struggle with (daily devotion and meditation, perseverance, discipline, sensing energy). However, you get out of something exactly what you put in, and I plan on putting in quite a lot.

Which requirements appear to be difficult to you now, and which appear to be easy?

I mentioned the difficult requirements above. The easy (shall I say most enjoyable?) ones are the book reviews. I love to read and haven’t been able to sneak in a lot of pleasure reading since I started college, so actually taking time out of my week to read books for myself will be a welcome change.

Do you have any doubts, questions, or concerns that you need to ask about?

Not off the top of my head, but I’ll definitely bring them up as they arise. After all, what’s the use of a spiritual path that doesn’t give you loads of questions to think about?

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your spiritual journey with the world. Your honest answers and exploration of these questions are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete