Saturday, September 25, 2010

Mabon with Circle of the Sacred Earth

One of the members of the Pagan Fellowship at Roanoke College is also a member of the Circle of the Sacred Earth, a Wiccan coven here in the Roanoke Valley. (Incidentally, this is the same group behind the first ever Roanoke Pagan Pride Picnic.) Circle of the Sacred Earth was kind enough to allow me to visit for tonight's Mabon ritual, and I have to say I'm glad I was able to go!

College organizations aside, I've never attended a group ritual before. For part of my Paganhood I did consider myself at least quasi-Wiccan, by way of Cunningham and not by initiation, and Athena's Circle at Bryn Mawr conducted rituals in a Wiccan manner (casting circles, calling elemental quarters). The energy of a working coven, full of members who know (and, presumably, trust and at least somewhat like) each other, and who are all basically on the same page as far as theology goes, is completely different than anything I've experienced before. Having an outside bonfire doesn't hurt in setting the mood, either.

The best part about Circle of the Sacred Earth is that everyone is so... well. Down to earth. Friendly, warm, very Southern. The High Priestess is a very no-nonsense sort of woman with a wickedly wonderful sense of humor, and her husband is nothing but kind and welcoming. I felt my shyness start to creep back in (what if they didn't like me? What if I set the altar on fire?), but it didn't take long before the group and I were swapping stories and jokes. Ultimately I felt accepted by the group, like a visiting friend welcomed by a close-knit family.

I've been thinking of giving another look-see at Wicca, especially since I'd like to share at least one full-blown Wiccan ritual with my college's Pagan group this semester. Though it wasn't the first Pagan path I discovered, Wicca was the one I researched most heavily, and there's a fond remembrance for it now. (In the past I've had problems with Wicca, especially regarding how some trads approach the gender/sexual duality of the deities. Being told time and time again that I should connect more with the Goddess because I'm a woman, and that it was strange that I only really wanted to hang out with the God, made me resentful for quite some time.) Now that I'm out of a primarily single-sex environment and getting a better sense of the diversity present in Wicca, I'm glad to report those feelings aren't really so much an issue anymore.

Also, I got to wear ritual robes for the first time ever. Red, crushed velvet, perfect for keeping mosquitoes away. I thought I'd feel silly in them, but honestly? Robes are pretty fantastic. Definitely need to get myself one.

No comments:

Post a Comment